Saturday, June 20, 2009

Perception

You know, as I drug my sorry arse into the gym today I was feeling a little fluffy.  Ok, fat actually!  And I wore my Team Fitbody tee that says "Right about now, you wish you'd trained harder" for motivation.

I was in the locker room changing my shoes and some lady stopped me and asked if I was a trainer and she loved the shirt.  I said "no", that I just luv to WO and do physique shows.    She said "well, your in great shape".  I wanted to yell, "what!!!"  But I thanked her and went on to my WO.

But ya know... it kinda stuck with me.  And made me think.  What I perceive as a great body, isn't the ideal of most americans.  And as much as I want to change into my dream body, I can't be such a self hater during the process.


I was looking for a pic of the tee I was wearing, but found this one.  April took it last fall a few weeks before my first show.  And at the time, I thought I was still fat.  Gosh I would luv to be back at the size now!  I will BE!!!

4 comments:

Nerd Girl said...

totally know what you mean. i know to the rest of the world i look fit. i know that i have a healthy body, but i keep wanting more. I look at pictures of figure competitors and want that leanness. it is funny how differently you see physiques when you are in the fitness world and have been working out a long time. i remember seeing skinny girls before i worked out and lifted and thinking how good they looked..now when i see skinny models, i am thankful for the muscles i have!

Becca said...

I am 100% in the same boat. I am even less happy now with the body I have, (which by most people's standards is very fit) but knowing what I can look like has taken a big mental hit on my satisfaction. What you know and how you feel are 2 very different things. All common sense goes out the window. I need to stop being a self hater too. I have thought to myself, how can someone who is so careful to be 'healthy' have such an unheathy mental attitude?

I am totally with Nerd Girl's comment too.

Great post.

Tracy said...

We are just going to have to make a conscious effort everyday to STOP the negativity towards our self.

Its one thing to have goals and dreams, but we have to be realistic and LIVE too.

I don't want to wake up someday and realized I wasted my youth being obsessed with what I could be. When I could be luving who & what I am.

Jenn said...

Like this post.